Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A few fun little changes...

Not that they're super exciting or anything, but I thought I'd show you anyways! Whenever I take down our Christmas decorations, I get this urge to change up some of the decor in my living room... and this year was no different. The changes aren't huge - all the furniture is still in the same spot... but I changed my coffee table centerpiece, and made some changes to one of the corner shelves.
I had found this basket on clearance before Christmas, intending to fill it with pine cones and a candle in the middle. I got a candle in it, and an evergreen garland around it, but somehow the pinecones never made it! Oh well. I decided to find a way to use the basket for the rest of the year too, so this is what I did! I got the garland as a Christmas gift, and then just bought the wicker and some other kind of cool looking balls. Then I took some strips of fabric and wrapped some styrofoam balls to finish it off. I'm happy with how it turned out! The pictures of my coffee table are a little deceiving... it's not usually totally clear like that. It seems to be the collecting area for any books or magazines we're reading through... but for the sake of the picture, I cleared off the table!

As for the corner shelf, I had seen some pictures in a scrapbooking magazine, and came up with this. I found the twigs for the vase at a greenhouse, and just added a bit of color with the "pick" from one of my favorite little home decor stores. The quote on the front of the album says "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" (Abraham Lincoln). We saw it at my cousin's place when we were there, and liked it - and I couldn't decide on a picture to put in the spot, so I figured the quote would be just right!

4 comments:

Greta and Gary said...

Looks great!!!!

Willetta Les said...

looks great, Wieska! I tend to spruce up/change the decor after taking down the Christmas stuff, too... fun, fun :)

Anonymous said...

so glad you liked the quote!! ;-)

Michelle Vandepol said...

i now want to copy the fabric decor balls. cute idea :)