Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's gardening time!

We're pretty excited to be seeing this nice weather again... and are planning a bunch of work in our yard. The flower bed in the backyard is a project we started last year - we put just a few plants in there and bought a couple of trees. I can't remember the name of the one, but this one is a flowering plum tree - and we picked it because it gets nice little pink flowers in the spring.
On Saturday, while I was sleeping (I was between night shifts), Martin shoveled a layer of a blended topsoil over the whole flower bed, just to give the plants some extra nutrients and give us some nice soil to work with... so now it's all ready for planting! Eventually, we want the whole thing (it goes around the perimeter of the back yard, along our fence line) to be nice and full of all kinds of different perennials - some tall, lots of flowers... but it's a bit hard to know how to plan that all out.
Yesterday, a friend of mine lent me a book called "Mix-&-Match Gardening" - and it helps you plan out pretty much any kind of garden! I'm pretty excited to go through that and pick out some different plants. I'll update every so often to let you know how the garden is coming!
Another fun project I'm working on that I'll post sometime in late summer, or early fall, is wintering geraniums. This same friend also taught me how to save my geraniums over the winter, and how to go about getting them started again. I'm taking pictures of the different stages in the process, so that I can post a "tutorial" of sorts - in case you want to know how to save your geraniums! It's kind of fun, cause they get bigger and bigger every year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh looks great. I'll be watching as you add to your garden Wieska, I need some good ideas! :)

Anonymous said...

Aye Wieska! I be a thinkin' we be a needin' ya at our new little garden set-up . . . esp. at weedin' time. ;-) Thanks for the neat blog. Will visit often. Luv